Accidents happen, and knowing ahead of time how to handle one will help lesson the stress when such a situation arises. Keep these simple tips in mind, and you will be able to do all you can, in the event that the family dentist is out of the office.
- You’ve Knocked Out Your Tooth – Keep the tooth moist. If you can’t place it back in the socket without touching the root, keep it between your cheek and gums, or in a glass of milk. Get to an emergency walk in dentist right away.
- You’ve Cracked Your Tooth –
- You’ve Bitten Your Tongue or Lip – If it’s a pretty serious bite, clean the area gently with water and apply a cold compress. Get to an emergency walk in dentist or emergency room right away.
- You Have a Toothache – Rinse your mouth with warm water, and use dental floss to try to remove any food caught between teeth or gums. If the pain persists, contact your family dentist.
- You Think Your Jaw is Broken – Apply cold compresses and report to your dentist office or emergency room immediately.
- An Object is Stuck in Your Mouth or Teeth – Try to gently remove with floss, but do not use a sharp or pointed instrument. See an emergency walk in dentist or go to the emergency room as soon as possible.
Rinse your mouth with warm water to clean the area. Apply cold compresses, and make an emergency dentist appointment.